From the Command Tent
We had our annual winter meeting Jan. 23,2016. It was attended by the following member companies; 5th Ky, 1st Tenn, 44th Tenn, 5th Va, 19th Va and 50th Va. Also attending was Capt Rob Van representing the A.O.W. and 49th In.
Discussion was opened with recruiting results from this past year. Recruiting was our primary focus as our membership had decreased as had many other battalions. With all our companies reporting. We had increased our overall membership to approximately 20 new members. I want to thank everyone for their efforts.
Our objectives this year will be adding battalion drill event to our schedule and increase the number of battalion events.
Battalion drill is counted as a voting rights event. I contacted Orville Uggen at Hartford City concerning the use of his facility. He gave us his approval for the weekend of April 2, 2016.
Capt. Sharp and Maj. Judge have begun putting together a drill manual which should make understanding drill less complicated. They have been working closely with myself putting it together. They passed out the first edition to the meeting attendees.
After discussing this year’s potential events. The following events were what the membership voted to either attend by either Max effort or Supported.
- 1. Battalion drill – April 2, 2016. Hartford City, In “MAX”
- 2. Hartford City – May 13, 14, 15 2016. Hartford City, In “MAX”
- 3. Heritage Village – July 9, 10 2016. Cincinnati, Oh. “SUP”
- 4. Manassas – July 23,24,25, 2016. Cedar Creek, Va. “SUP”
- 5. Hale Farm – Aug 13,14 2016 Ohio. “SUP”
- 6. Richmond – Aug 27, 28 2016 Richmond, Ky “SUP”
- 7. Sidney – Sept 17,18 2016 Sidney, Ohio “MAX”
- 8. Lebanon – Sept 24, 25, 2016 Lebanon, In. “SUP”
- 9. Perryville – Oct 7,8,9 2016. Perryville, Ky. “MAX”
- 1. Heritage Village $5
- 2. Manassas $15 until Jan 31st $25 until May 31st after May $35. Children 8-11 1/2 price
- 3. Sidney $10
- 4. Perryville $20
The elections this year will be for Col., Lt Col. and Maj. The election will be conducted at the Perryville event. Reminder, you must have attended at least 2 max effort events to have voting rights.
Motion was made by J.R. Sharp to close the meeting. Seconded by Pete Piazza. Motion carried.
Your Obedient Servant
Col. Danny Linkous
Independent Guard Battalion